Collagen has been a buzzword in the skincare scene for a while now. While there are many serums and creams that skincare influencers swear by, one ingredient that both skincare influencers and celebrities have always praised is collagen.
What is collagen?
Collagen is a structural, hard, insoluble, and fibrous protein that is predominantly found in the connective tissues of our skin, bones, tendons, muscles, and ligaments of our body. It is responsible for the elasticity and strength of our skin. As we age, due to UV exposure, collagen production starts to deplete significantly. This increases the need and popularity for ingesting collagen supplements and also for practicing topical collagen skincare by applying products like collagen face serum, etc.
In technical terms, there are two types of collagen:
- Endogenous collagen - natural collagen that is synthesized by our body.
- Exogenous collagen - synthetic collagen which usually comes from an outside source, such as collagen supplements or topical products.
What does collagen do?
While collagen is secreted by different cells, it is mainly produced by the connective tissue cells. In the middle layer of our skin, also known as the dermis, collagen helps to form new cells which effectively replaces and restores dead skin cells. Additionally, some types of collagen also act as a protective layer for sensitive, delicate organs, like kidneys and liver. Finally, the collagen in our skin keeps our skin firm, elastic, and supple.
Is collagen good for you?
Yes. Collagen is not only good but also extremely important for our skin and body. Since collagen is a structural protein that is responsible for radiant skin, skin elasticity, skin stretchiness, and healthy joints, it is a vital protein for everyone.
Given that, post mid-twenties our body not only stops the production of this vital protein but exhausts the existing collagen in our body, our skin starts to lose elasticity and firmness. The results of which are shown on our face and body in the form of wrinkles, fine lines, unhealthy or lousy joints, etc. Therefore, ingesting and application of exogenous collagen is not only good for our body but also is a necessity.
What is the best way to take collagen?
Depending on the need, exogenous collagen can either be ingested as a supplement or applied as a topical skincare product. If you are looking to intake collagen for strengthening your bones, nourishing your hair, and boosting your joints strength, then consuming collagen booster supplements is the best way forward.
However, if you are looking for nourishing your skin, reducing wrinkles and fine lines, and in general for anti-aging benefits, then you should opt for topical collagen skincare products like collagen serum for face, collagen face cream, etc.
Traditionally, collagen is derived from animal sources, but nowadays, vegan collagen products have become widely popular and more preferred because they are eco-friendly and cruelty-free. Therefore, if you prefer a plant-based, cruelty-free lifestyle, you can still benefit from collagen via vegan collagen products.
What are the benefits of collagen for your skin?
While collagen booster supplements are beneficial for our bones, joints, and hair, topical collagen benefits our skin deeply. Here are some benefits of collagen for skin care:
- Keeps your skin hydrated: Collagen serums help in skin revitalization thus making your skin supple and well hydrated.
- Reduces wrinkles and fine lines: Collagen products, especially vegan collagen boosting serums, smoothes fine lines and wrinkles for a more youthful appearance.
- Minimizes pores: Vegan collagen creams and serums are said to minimize the appearance of pores. Therefore, owing to regular usage, your face texture becomes more even and smooth.
- Treats damaged skin and helps in anti-aging: Collagen skincare not only helps in maintaining healthy skin but also reverses skin damage that's caused due to sun exposure and aging.
- Keeps skin plumped, moisturized, and glowy: Best collagen products usually suit all skin tones and skin types. When used alongside a proper skincare regime that contains Vitamin C Serum, moisturizer, ice globes facial massage, etc. collagen skin care products help in keeping your skin even-toned, plumped, moisturized, radiant, and glowy.
Have you hopped on to the collagen bandwagon? If not, right now is the right time to do so!
BEST VEGAN COLLAGEN SERUM FOR FACE
Skin-plumping, wrinkle filling, powerful vegan collagen boosting serum for face. This plant-based vegan collagen formulation rejuvenates by hydrating and smoothing fine lines for a more youthful appearance.
Powerful duo to gently polish your skin, improve skin texture and minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles for that envious dewy glow.