The ideal sequence for exfoliation and shaving may vary based on individual skin sensitivity and personal preferences. Nevertheless, there are numerous benefits to using either a chemical or physical exfoliant. However, Sonage estheticians advise to exfoliate before shaving for the best results. Let’s find out why
Exfoliating Before Shaving: The Breakdown
- Reduces Ingrown Hair: Exfoliating helps remove dead skin cells and debris that can block hair follicles. This, in turn, reduces the likelihood of ingrown hairs, a common issue after shaving, which can cause pain and irritation. Lightly exfoliating with a physical exfoliant like our Gommage Exfoliating Gel can help decrease the changes of these issues from reoccurring.
- Smoother Skin: Exfoliation provides a smoother surface for the razor to glide across, leading to a closer and more precise shave. This can result in smoother skin and a more polished appearance after shaving. Sweeping a product containing Glycolic Acid, like our Glow to Go Glycolic Acid Peel Pads can help gently prep the skin for a smoother shave.
- Prevents Razor Burn: By clearing away dead skin cells and preventing clogged pores, exfoliating reduces the risk of razor burn and irritation. It allows the razor to make clean, irritation-free passes over the skin.
- Enhances Product Absorption: After exfoliating, the skin is more receptive to moisturizers, shaving creams, and lotions. This means that any products applied post-exfoliation will be absorbed more effectively, improving skin hydration and protection.
- Longer-Lasting Results: Exfoliating can help prevent the rapid regrowth of hair and prolong the time between shaves, as it effectively removes hair and ensures a more even shave.