By Mary and Lucy Firestone
We are sisters who believe that self-discovery is something to be celebrated – AND can be chic and stylish! We created our website and blog as a destination to share our latest and most important inspirations, revelations and secrets – the ones that have helped us achieve feeling our best on every level – physically, spiritually and emotionally. Our Wild Precious Life retreat series is the way to physically experience all that we share on our website. We love creating and thoughtfully curating these luxury experiences for women. While we’d love to see you on one of our upcoming retreats, if you can’t steal away you can still create a mini-retreat experience for yourself (and friends too!) at home.
Our retreats are all about balance - we believe in yoga and green juice AND wine and beauty. Here are some tips to help you to create your own at-home retreat:
1. Make sure you have time and space for yourself. If you have family, ask your husband/partner/parents/children to get out of the house for a few hours so you can have your own “sanctuary.”
2. Begin your “retreat” with a moment of reflection or short meditation thanking yourself for taking this time for you. Think about how you’d like to feel at the end of your retreat as well.
3. Do some sort of yoga practice/dance routine/physical exercise for 30 minutes and up to 90 minutes if you have the time. There are so many amazing streaming classes online – some of our favorites are Yogaglo, Tracy Anderson and Lauren Roxburgh.
4. Have a green juice! You can make your own or purchase a bottle by one of our favorite brands, Sunlife Organics from Malibu. Pressed and Juice Crafters are our other favorites as well.
5. Spend an hour watching a workshop led by Brene Brown/Oprah/Tony Robbins/Wayne Dyer. Or read one of their books for an hour.
6. Have a healthy and nutritious lunch…You can pair lunch with wine, if you wish!
7. Draw a warm bath with lavender oil and Epsom salts. Wash your face and apply the Sonäge face mask that best suits your skin type. Hop in the tub and relax. We also love Olaplex hair treatments – you can put that on your hair while in the tub, too. After a good soak, shower off.
8. Make yourself a cup of tea or have a glass of wine and pull out a journal.
Then do the exercise below.
Give yourself 10 minutes to meditate on what you’re grateful for. What makes your heart explode? What makes you happiest? If you don’t have a meditation practice, sit in a quiet comfortable place with your eyes closed.
Focus on your breathing. Take three deep, slow breaths in, and then exhale.
Picture someone or something or a place you love completely – stay with that feeling of love. Come back to your breath if your mind wanders. 10 minutes is ideal, but if you only have five minutes, that works too.
Following your meditation, write a list of all the things you are grateful for, from the people in your life down to hot baths, good wine, your health, your pet, where you live, beaches, avocados, all of it; give yourself a full five minutes to write and just keep ‘em coming.
Remember, that which we appreciate appreciates – you get more of whatever you put your focus on and emotion into – so focus on what you DO love and what you DO want. We hope you enjoy your at-home retreat. You are your own best guide to living your best life!
Mary and Lucy Firestone host retreats around the world. You can catch them at their upcoming retreat on February 6 in Malibu, CA. They have contributed to Travel & Leisure, Angeleno, Indagare, the Huffington Post and Louis Vuitton’s City Guide for Los Angeles.